Author Topic: Announced Meetups don't go out  (Read 946 times)

Offline Belinda

• View Profile
  • Meetup Group(s): Thumbs Up Theatre Toronto, IBS Support Canada
Announced Meetups don't go out
« on: November 28, 2017, 10:27:13 PM »
Two evenings in a row I have announced meetups, but the invitations haven't reached members'  inboxes.

Is anyone else having this problem? What could be wrong?

Online Greg PT

• View Profile
  • Meetup Group(s): AnchorageAdventurers
Re: Announced Meetups don't go out
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 10:53:49 PM »
Two evenings in a row I have announced meetups, but the invitations haven't reached members'  inboxes.

Is anyone else having this problem? What could be wrong?

I'm still getting invitations, and just got one within the last hour.

However, there's one major exception: after the switch-over on Nov 14 I stopped getting invitations for my own events! This is a hassle, because I now have to check with another member (my test account) to verify that my notices went out.

I reported this bug to MUHQ on Nov 20, and they acknowledged it as a known defect. Support said they would pass on my concern about confirmation to the software engineers.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 11:00:33 PM by Greg PT »

Online Steve~ Org of SD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 10:55:25 PM »
Make a test member profile, and see if it gets them.  Edit the event listings and try again.              There is a Meetup algorithm that I think won't "announce" events that contain certain parameters.

And of course the usual Meetup software bugs, sprung up from last year's "no communication experience", the migration to the "cloud", and from the recent rush to push out a new look for iphones.

What is the date of the event?  Any odd key words?

Steve the org who wouldn't shut up

Offline Belinda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 09:26:29 AM »
I announced a Sultans of String concert and a New Year's Eve dinner and show.

I asked a friend if he got the invitations, and he didn't. He is a member of my group.

Offline Anne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 11:10:59 AM »
Belinda,
My CO and I didn't get the Meetup being sold to WeWork announcement, which I'm certain should have gone out to everyone. So I can only assume there is some kind of glitch with e-mails lately.

OTOH, I know sympatico.ca (which a number of Canadians are still on) blocks the order confirmation from my local butcher's shop, so I'm wondering if it's happening at the provider. Are either you or your member on Sympatico?

Only thing I can think of to suggest is to copy the events, slightly change the wording, repost, manually add any RSVPs to the copied events, delete the originals, then announce the new ones.

Offline Belinda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 11:36:34 AM »
@ Anne: Neither of us uses sympatico.ca. The funny thing is some invitations go out. Others do not.

Yes I will have to repost if there is no other option. So annoying.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 01:21:17 PM by Belinda »

Offline Anne

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 02:54:12 PM »
Ah, then that has all the hallmarks that your group has now been migrated to the 'new notification experience' (or, as Emmy aptly dubbed it, the 'no communication experience'). 

That is exactly what our group experienced after we were migrated.  Matter of fact, it was only when I enquired about invitations not going out that I was told this had started for our group. And, true to form, MU support labelled this 'a good thing'.

It hit us just as I was announcing a critical event with time sensitive discounts for my group members.  Out of three events I announced together (they were all geared to different audiences), MU in its wisdom decided that only the middle one was important to send out.  And told me so as if this was 'an improvement'

Online Greg PT

• View Profile
  • Meetup Group(s): AnchorageAdventurers
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 04:04:58 PM »
I announced a Sultans of String concert and a New Year's Eve dinner and show.

I asked a friend if he got the invitations, and he didn't. He is a member of my group.

I just got another announcement email this morning, so I know it's working.

Have you checked with other members? How widespread is the problem?

Is it just the email, or is it also affecting the internal notifications?

What about people using the Meetup app?

Has anyone RSVP'd?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 04:08:01 PM by Greg PT »

Offline Belinda

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 01:25:37 PM »
The announcements only didn't go out when I announced them in the new platform. When I switched back to Classic, announcements went out with no problem. I reposted the NYE event and announced it in Classic. It went out fine. I didn't bother to repost the concert. It was too late.

Meetup Support was no help at all. I got an automated reply telling me to check my communications settings. Sheesh. When I wrote back, I got a more personal reply that was equally as useless.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 01:27:16 PM by Belinda »

Offline Wendy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 08:26:44 PM »
The announcements only didn't go out when I announced them in the new platform.

One of my event organizers announced an event today (presumably using new Meetup), and I received an announcement.