Author Topic: Meetup Changes Coming ... it's worse than you think  (Read 18914 times)

Online Giantaxe

• View Profile
Re: Meetup Changes Coming ... it's worse than you think
« Reply #320 on: December 05, 2017, 03:27:15 PM »
Meetup made the decision to redesign their interface for one reason.

Meetup Inc began this process of reworking their interface in early 2015 to avoid getting left behind by the rapid shift to mobile.

Agreed. And this is what makes it so frustrating that at least two years later the interface is dysfunctional a mess.

Offline Wendy

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 05, 2017, 03:58:21 PM »
Meetup Inc began this process of reworking their interface in early 2015 to avoid getting left behind by the rapid shift to mobile.

Agreed. And this is what makes it so frustrating that at least two years later the interface is dysfunctional a mess.

Agreed, and this is why I welcome the news that post-merger Meetup is going to be doubling their number of engineers.

Offline Culturevulture

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 05, 2017, 04:00:00 PM »
Let's hope that the new engineers and site coders will be people who know both what they're doing and what the site is supposed to do.

Offline BlueSwan

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 05, 2017, 04:54:09 PM »
Does anyone know when the Classic version of Meetup will completely disappear?  Yes, the new design has lots of horrible and annoying features but the worst is the limited number of characters in the event description. 

While the classic version still exists, at least we can still input events to Meetup but once we lose access to the classic version we won't be able to do this as most of our event descriptions are too long.  And no we can't just chop bits off - too time consuming and important stuff will be lost. 

There are actually plenty of alternatives to Meetup if you just want software to manage your group, your members, your communications, photos and finances eg Groupspaces http://groupspaces.com/tour/, Tidyclub  https://tidyhq.com, https://membermojo.co.uk to name a few.  But that is only one aspect of Meetup and the easiest part to replace. 

Meetup's unique selling point is that many potential members have heard about Meetup so this is where they go to look for social and other types of groups.  Groups will lose that if they move to another platform and even if these changes cost Meetup a lot of established groups their place will rapidly be filled with new startups so perhaps Meetup doesn't care too much.

Maybe this shows the problem in being too reliant on a platform you have no control over?

Offline Wendy

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 05, 2017, 05:17:19 PM »
Does anyone know when the Classic version of Meetup will completely disappear? 

No, but there's a discussion here...
http://www.discussmeetup.com/forum/general-questions-how-tos-tips-tricks/'classic'-desktop-meetup-view/

There are actually plenty of alternatives to Meetup if you just want software to manage your group...

Yes; there's a whole other subforum dedicated to discussing Meetup alternatives...
http://www.discussmeetup.com/forum/discuss-other-options/

Offline BlueSwan

• View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 05, 2017, 06:01:03 PM »
Thanks.  Is it known what is going to happen to the photo albums?  At present if you click on "see all" on photos you get taken the classic photo albums. 

Will photo albums exist in the new format or will it be just a mass of miscellaneous photos?

Offline Anne

• View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 05, 2017, 06:28:34 PM »
This form seems to be less busy on the subject. Have you all given up?
I think after the big reveal that WeWork was buying Meetup, combined with the crappy reception the organizers and their feedback got at the "Future of Community" event, has made it clear, for those who were holding out hope, that there isn't much hope left of things getting better with Meetup.

That doesn't mean everyone's done with the platform immediately, but it's now less a case of "we've loved Meetup; can we somehow help them not jump off a cliff?" and more a case of "time for us to adapt, migrate, or die."

Agreed.  I think between the holidays and awareness of the 'new reality' setting in for most orgs, the implications of this change will be steeping & percolating in the background, with decisions to come later.  Perhaps the stages of grief are at play?

One thought: perhaps they're holding on to classic view (as a lifeline for orgs) with the hopes that orgs will get past their next renewal date (because they still have 'an out' and it's not as painful as it might have been without it), and then once renewed succumb to inertia and stick around.  With their wallets open, of course.

Offline The Stargazer

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 05, 2017, 06:53:50 PM »
One thought: perhaps they're holding on to classic view (as a lifeline for orgs) with the hopes that orgs will get past their next renewal date (because they still have 'an out' and it's not as painful as it might have been without it), and then once renewed succumb to inertia and stick around.  With their wallets open, of course.

To that end, I updated my Organizer Subscription plan from every 6 months to 'monthly' last week.
Taking it week by week now, with the most likely scenario being an exit from MU before February.
https://www.meetup.com/account/subscription/
With the new interface, our members don't know what to do, or what events they're attending.
Unless that changes back to being something usable, the MU group is all but useless to them now.
... and I still believe this is what Meetup Inc. wants - loyal members freed up to roam around to impromptu events created by minimally viable organizers.
More money for them if organized Organizer leave the scene and distribute their members.

Online Giantaxe

• View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 05, 2017, 07:01:12 PM »

Organizers are the ones who actually pay Meetup. If paid-for functionality is removed from under organizers' feet, you could argue that Meetup may be in some legal jeopardy. So, much easier to force everyone else - i.e. those that don't pay for Meetup services - onto this "new" interface without recourse.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 07:03:32 PM by Giantaxe »

Offline BlueSwan

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 05, 2017, 07:25:49 PM »
When a Meetup group is run by a team, then eroding the ability of some of the team members to operate should be very significant.  Organisers and Co-organisers can still post events because they see the classic page, all the other team members who should be posting events can't doing it properly (due to the character limit etc) unless they notice the line "While we’re finishing up a few features, you will still have access to the old page?" and click on old page which gets them to the classic page and then they can post.

The Meetup users can't see the classic page at all and only see the new interface only half of which is working, so the organisers are not getting all the features that they are paying for.

Offline BBG

• View Profile
  • Meetup Group(s): BG
« Reply #330 on: December 05, 2017, 08:38:46 PM »
The Meetup users can't see the classic page at all and only see the new interface only half of which is working, so the organisers are not getting all the features that they are paying for.
Well, not exactly.  We aren't getting all the features that we signed up for, but we are getting the features we're paying for, legally; the Meetup TOU makes it clear that the capabilities of the platform can change over time, without notice.

Additionally, if an organizer got mad about a feature going away, contacted support, and asked to immediately withdraw and have their fees prorated, I strongly suspect support would make that happen.  And unless they refused, there is definitely not a leg to stand on in making a legal claim.

Ethically, I agree with you: Meetup is not treating us well.  But no, they are not in any kind of legal jeopardy here.

Offline Nam_social_nl

• View Profile
  • Meetup Group(s): Gay & LesBian Social The Netherlands | LesBian Social Amsterdam | Gay & LesBian Social The Hague
« Reply #331 on: December 06, 2017, 06:38:40 AM »
This form seems to be less busy on the subject. Have you all given up?

Still active on Twitter keeping on addressing our concerns to Meetup Support.

With the new interface, our members don't know what to do, or what events they're attending.
Same here, and not knowing in what group they are in, it is getting a bit tiresome for organizers ánd our members.
I do hope MU will take our concerns serious, because frankly I am not sure if I would invest so much again in starting a group in a new environment.

Offline Petra

• View Profile
  • Meetup Group(s): Heidelberg Hiking & Geocaching Meetup
« Reply #332 on: December 07, 2017, 12:23:13 AM »
I've lost my faith in Meetup support and their ability (or willingness?) to fix reported issues.
Over two weeks ago I reported several issues, e.g. that RSVP times change automatically in the new version as soon as I edit an event. Meetup support contacted me first on Twitter but did not get the issue. Then we had contact via email but again the two replies that I got made me wonder if they know what I am talking about. The last reply contained a link to the draft in the classic view. I replied with a step-by-step instruction how to reproduce the issue. Let's see what happens.

Regarding my other issues (no formatting options, map pointer cannot be adjusted, number of guests is automatically set to 5 etc.) I just checked my twitter account - still no replies apart from the first "We'll share these concerns with our Product Team".

I have been considering moving my group for the past three months. It might still take me a bit more time (my subscription ends in April) to stop feeling sentimental about what Meetup used to mean to me. www.groops.de might not be the perfect answer - an email to their support team regarding my account went unanswered - but at least I won't pay for being the beta tester of features that are useless to me.

Online Giantaxe

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 07, 2017, 01:05:50 AM »
Nothing seems to be being addressed at the moment. I've reported two glaring bugs and given a bunch of other feedback as to what's wrong with the rework. Even the bugs remain unaddressed. I guess the charitable view is they are "taking stock" post the takeover. I can only hope they don't impose this rework on organizers for the forseeable future.

Online Giantaxe

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 07, 2017, 03:34:28 PM »
Nothing seems to be being addressed at the moment. I've reported two glaring bugs and given a bunch of other feedback as to what's wrong with the rework. Even the bugs remain unaddressed. I guess the charitable view is they are "taking stock" post the takeover. I can only hope they don't impose this rework on organizers for the forseeable future.

Got that one wrong... they are imposing the new design on everyone, bugs and all, from 12/14. What a shambles.

Online Steve~ Org of SD

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 07, 2017, 03:47:26 PM »

Got that one wrong... they are imposing the new design on everyone, bugs and all, from 12/14. What a shambles.

Everyone who is LEFT, paying for features we used to have but were taken away...    I've told them that unless they provide an opt-out back to the classic desktop, for at least us paid Organizers, I will leave.

Steve the Org who wouldn't shut up

Online Emmy

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 07, 2017, 03:49:03 PM »
Giantaxe said:
Got that one wrong... they are imposing the new design on everyone, bugs and all, from 12/14.

As far as I'm concerned, Meetup can go do things that are inappropriate to suggest on this forum.

As soon as I get some time, though, I'll give them more feedback via email and Twitter. Not that I think they listen or care, but it makes me feel better.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 11:48:59 AM by Emmy »

Offline Dave45

• View Profile
  • Meetup Group(s): 45nsingle
« Reply #337 on: December 08, 2017, 04:54:10 AM »
One of our members has just scheduled an event, I know this because I received an email about it.  It does not appear in notifications and unless someone goes trolling through the calendar they are not going to find it.   I've pointed this out on the Twitter feed with little hope of them understanding the effect on me and my group.

People sign up to events because other people sign up to events. That rolling update of what people are responding to is so important to my group. This new format is killing us.

Offline Dave45

• View Profile
  • Meetup Group(s): 45nsingle
« Reply #338 on: December 09, 2017, 05:13:39 AM »
Have you seen this on facebook  https://www.facebook.com/meetup/posts/10155991710004588?comment_id=10155992450444588&notif_id=1512779019592995&notif_t=like

Share the heck out of it!  Everyone is complaining.

Offline Toivo

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 09, 2017, 10:19:43 AM »
Page design is pretty awful.

Fully half the page is nothing but a worthless picture.  I'd rather have some useful information appear with each new page.  Did anyone at Meetup remember that mobile screens are almost always on the tiny-side?  So their great plan is to use most of that very limited real estate to show the same picture over and over and over again?

Over-saturated color pallet is for tween girls, not something I'd want my grown-up friends at work or on the train to see me accessing.

They say they want consistency but controls are sometimes in the upper left, oh wait, now it's in the lower right, oh wait, now it's in this separate box...

Formatting is truly wacked, important information like, you know, WHERE the event is being held, is in greyed out small font.  Do their programmers/designers even actually use the product??

And then they pull the old 60% scam.  60% of users do this, or are this.  So they made the product for those 60% and want the other 40% to just leave.  60% of their users are female so they're going to make the site all gingham and lace and tell the guys to just go away.  That's the mindset at Meetup. What kind of business thinks it's a good plan for the future to ignore 40% of their customer base?! Seriously, are these people for real? 60% are mobile-users, OK, but that means 40% aren't.  How clueless are these people?

Just a mishmash garish mess.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 11:05:42 AM by Toivo »