Author Topic: City Organizers - would the effort be worth it?  (Read 970 times)

Offline john

• Life long Sailor, Learning Social Networking
    • View Profile
  • Meetup Group(s): Got Wind and Water
City Organizers - would the effort be worth it?
« on: December 26, 2017, 09:10:28 PM »
Meetup has approached me (in the most disrespectful way) about becoming a 'city organizer'.

Years ago I took over the 'San Francisco Bay Organizers' group, they traded it away to Andrea so I could create a fourth group and still have the '3 group' subscription plan.  Andrea became the organizer and I became the co-organizer.

Now meetup HG has approached me and asked me to become a 'city organizer'.

My thoughts are that I'd love to take on that role for San Francisco, use free meeting spaces from the Meetup Parent company, and really organize a face to face version of 'Discuss Meetup'.

My foolish dream is that San Francisco / Silicon Valley is a world famous tech and software center and Meetup HQ would actually listen to what we would have to say.

But HQ wanted me to fill out a 'application' which basically states just how wonderful and successful they think I am, then asks 20 questions which I translate as: "What have you done for the MeetUp Brand?"

WTF?

This prompted me to go to YouTube and watch a bunch of videos about corporate America's problems with millennials.

Those videos were seriously depressing, but do highlight a theory:  It's their parents fault. They where told how wonderful and special they were and were given trophies at every opportunity to build self esteem for just 'being on the team'.  They were also told they had to go to college even if they had to take out enormous loans (because their parents weren't going to foot the bill, and if they took out loans they wouldn't have to work while partying at college).  The expectation was they would become billionaires just like the heads to Facebook, Google and the like.

So they (the millennials) wound up with a false sense of worth that was so obvious that it destroyed their self esteem.

And then when they were faced with reality in the form of their employers asked them what value they were adding to the corporate net worth . . . well, you get the idea.

So I'm faced with the dilemma, pursue the dream or face the reality: Meetup has a seriously flawed view of themselves vs. the real world.

Hmm
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 09:13:40 PM by john »
John,
Founder, Got Wind and Water
www.gotwaw.com
Powered by the MeetUp Platform

Organizer, Got Wind and Water (public)
Organizer,  My Way Sails Berkeley (private)
Organizer,  My Way Sails Marina Del Ray (private)
. . . and past owner, SF Bay Area Organizers Resource Group

Offline john

• View Profile
Re: City Organizers - would the effort be worth it?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 09:17:37 PM »
And . . . the other shoe dropped.

Andrea left meetup, and the SF Bay Area Organizers Resource Group got turned into a 'Pro' group and my status changed from the Owner and Organizer to . . . just a member.

Since it's no longer part of my '3 subscriptions', I guess I should have anticipated that.

Going to have to update my 'signature'. :(
John,
www.gotwaw.com
Powered by the MeetUp Platform

Organizer, Got Wind and Water (public)
Organizer,  My Way Sails Berkeley (private)
Organizer,  My Way Sails Marina Del Ray (private)
. . . and past owner, SF Bay Area Organizers Resource Group

Offline Stephen

• View Profile
  • Meetup Group(s): Auckland Hiking Group
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 09:12:11 PM »
Replying to posts about City Organizers in MASS-resignation-of-meetup-organizers-now-planned-for-Dec-23rd-at-12-noon discussion that are probably more on-topic here ...

here is the link:

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/3990367/City-Organizer-Application

Question #8: As a City Organizer, you’ll embody the values of Meetup in your city and help other organizers grow their communities. What about this opportunity excites you? *This question is required.

Am I an organizerof a group of my own making? or do the 'values of Meetup' transcend whatever agenda Organizers have and stamp the agenda of MeetUp HQ on what we do?

It looks like City Organizers are part of Organizer Network on Meetup Pro that is created and organised by Meetup with assistance from City Organizers. According to City Organizer Policy: "The City Organizer role lasts for the entirety of the year, but you aren’t obligated to stay in it [...] it’s important to note that we may terminate this relationship in our sole discretion at any time and without notice" ... This suggests the role is temporary and subject to HQ's continued approval.

After enjoying participating in this thread, I got motivated and actually filled out the application and submitted it.

Here is the tag line after completing the application:

Thanks for applying! We’ll be in touch soon if we’d love for you to share Meetup’s values in your city. In the meantime, keep up the great work with your Meetups.

Again, from their myopic position, it's all about "Meetup's values", and I don't have a clue as to what those values are.

How did you answer question #8 (What about the opportunity (of embodying the values of Meetup - which you don't have a clue about) excites you?)

It appears that Organizers are being invited to apply to become City Organizers.

We can only participate in ways that we can control.

It appears that the New York group Organizer Network removed members who are not located in New York City. To participate in the Organizer Network, we have to wait for a network group in our city to be created. To become a City Organizer of a network, we have to be hand-selected by HQ. To be hand-selected, we may have to apply. Perhaps anyone can apply using link above, without waiting to be invited? In any case, City Organizer selection is in the hands of HQ.

Another option is to look for an existing independent Organizer group to join (HQ recommended this to rejected non-local members of New York group). If a local independent group doesn't exist (or even if one does exist), there is option of creating a new independent Organizer group.

If any of you are interested to join a local Organizer group (without organising this yourself) what appeals to you about the idea of joining a network group with a City Organizer compared to an independent group?

Offline Stephen

• View Profile
  • Meetup Group(s): Auckland Hiking Group
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 09:36:18 PM »
I got an answer from Meetup re: my application to be the City Organizer for San Francisco.  I've included a snip of that email.

Applications have closed globally already? ... Oh well, it looks like applying to become a City Organizer is one less option for any Organizer to consider.

Offline john

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 09:53:02 PM »
I got an answer from Meetup re: my application to be the City Organizer for San Francisco.  I've included a snip of that email.

Applications have closed globally already? ... Oh well, it looks like applying to become a City Organizer is one less option for any Organizer to consider.

Well, they sent the invite at the beginning of December, so it's possible they wanted to kick it off the beginning of January and only considered applicants during December.  As I recall, the St. Louis 'City Org Group' was created (and Organized) by 'MeetUp' on Dec 29th.   https://www.meetup.com/Organizer-Meetup-St-Louis/

Here is something hilarious:  It's a 'Pro' Group and has 2 members:  'MeetUp' (the organizer) and . . . 'Demetris D Lawrency' who joined today and is . . .  the organizer of a Facebook Group LOL

His answers to the questions MeetUp posed are too funny: https://www.meetup.com/Organizer-Meetup-St-Louis/members/245636937/http://
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 10:43:41 PM by john »
John,
www.gotwaw.com