Author Topic: Time to say goodbye  (Read 603 times)

KevinGolding

Time to say goodbye
« on: February 09, 2018, 07:45:24 AM »
Tonight I got to the point where I had just had enough.

I was a member of about 6 groups, and assistant in 1. I've left each of these with a 'sorry I'm leaving but Meetup now sucks' message and removed myself from the group. I also left a FB page address and gmail address for people wanting to stay in contact.

I'm not sure how to completely remove my Meetup account. Maybe it's not possible, but I'm going to try.

Since I'm now completely avoiding Meetup it only seems appropriate that I also remove myself from this forum. I wish you all the best of luck in the future, but frankly I think that later this year your forum will be discussing the post-mortem of Meetup.

Good luck
Kevin

Offline AmyK

• View Profile
  • Meetup Group(s): Richmond Beer Lovers
Re: Time to say goodbye
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 09:59:16 AM »
Sorry, Kevin.  You're not alone.   You're welcome to stay a member of this forum if you want, to follow along with what happens.

Offline notmtwain

• View Profile
  • Meetup Group(s): Friends of Myles Standish State Forest
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 10:09:30 AM »
What is it you can't do now on Meetup that you used to do?

Our Meetups have continued to attract people in spite of the fact that we can't format our Meetup descriptions. 
I do miss the easy access to past meetups but I don't think the new format is enough to make my group quit using Meetup.

Offline Dave45

• View Profile
  • Meetup Group(s): 45nsingle
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 11:09:58 AM »
He's not going to answer, he's gone.

Things you can't do...............see updates and RSVPs etc to my group as they happen. Update events easily on the mobile. Record no-shows. See the calendar with just one click.  Decide which photos show on the main page.  Easily see comments.  See discussions on the mobile.  Charge for attendance without using the old website which means losing all the data you've just entered. Update RSVPs once the vent is about to commence.  Move the pin on the map where google/ Meetup has given out the wrong location.  Copy photos into the main body thus creating a big workaround to download and upload photos.  Specify number of guests each member can bring to an event.  Co-organizers  can no longer upload photos into group emails. No longer receive emails when a new members joins. Don't receive an email when an event has changed.

Things I don't want - email messages to my members recommending events in other groups, those recommendations are based on the other groups activities so bigger groups will drown out smaller groups.  Notifications about other groups events on my site.     

If the other new platforms can find some financial backing they will crucify Meetup.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:17:25 AM by Dave45 »

Offline Dave45

• View Profile
  • Meetup Group(s): 45nsingle
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 11:21:49 AM »
BTW.........................

Sally Sparrow

. @Meetup You have some features only available to US accounts. Why is that? And why don't you have the option to request payment of subscription fees as soon as members request to join a group?

Meetup Support‏
Hi Sally, we wish to expand all of our features for organizers in the USA to all International organizers as well. At the moment, we don't have a big enough Engineering Team at Meetup to build and support the features at such a large worldwide scale. We're working on it.